Monday 7 September 2015

The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

The Tea Planter's WifeThe Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars

This was an intriguing historical tale of hopeful love, suspense and prejudice set in Ceylon in colonial times. Sometimes I just need to immerse myself in a historical read and the setting of the Far East was a new one for me. I did enjoy reading about the different indigenous cultures and the British ruling classes. The main female character Gwen, is a young bride from England who met and married Laurence quickly then followed him to Ceylon. Laurence is a widower and it is quickly apparent that he is reluctant to talk about his previous marriage and his late wife's death. Those experiences seem like a dark cloud over him and seem to impede the natural development of Gwen and Laurence's relationship. Whilst Gwen is naive, she does have some backbone and I essentially liked her character and need to find some independence. There are some shifty side characters that had me suspicious early in the story, they made for good reading. The suspense in this book builds to a fever pitch that leaves you desperate for resolution but wanting the best for the two main characters, even when it seems impossible.

This is my first read by Dinah Jeffries and I enjoyed her writing style immensely. She wove a tale of complex relationships in a believable way. I would definitely read more by her.

I was provided with a copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3E61N29RO5YB1/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...